Saturday 18 February 2012

The Next Big Marvel Comic

White girl powers. The force is with me. Since arriving last year, I learned very quickly that being white, blonde, and blue-eyed somehow entitles you to respect. Its kind of a weird thing because in general, my opinion can often be heavily weighted, and my presence not often overlooked.  Initially, my response to all this was pretty strong frustration, as I don’t think someone’s nationality should play any role in determining competence. I would much rather earn respect the old fashioned way by how you live. But, regardless of my sentiments, I realized that that was many times not going to be the case here. So do I agree with it? No. But do I capitalize on it? Definitely yes. My justification: I use my powers for good, not evil. Even if the sway is unjustified, its still sway, and if it can be attributed to getting things done for my community, I’m all for it. In a small part due to white girl powers, Bulobi Primary School was just completed and the local government speed tracked a grant for this school as well. Da-nah-nah-nah-nah, White Girlllllllll!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! letter to Stan Lee in already in the mail box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! I know you'll stay clear of the Dark Side.

    ReplyDelete